Friday 15 February 2013

A stand against woman and child abuse

Two days ago I received this message from a friend: " There's a call for women in South Africa to dress in black on Friday as a stand against the abuse of women and children. Please pass the message to others." I almost ignored and deleted it as I usually do with such messages, but something about this moved me within. Thousands of women dressed in black may not necessarily be the answer to the terrible acts of violence and abuse against women and children that have flooded South African news in the past weeks, but it is a cry.... a cry of exasperation, desperation and anger.

I decided to respond to the call and dressed Olivia in black too. I am dreaming and contending for an abuse-free country - a safe South Africa for my daughter, for her children and her grandchildren. So the cries of the thousands of women who wore black today have not fallen on deaf ears.  One day my dream will become a reality, as our beautiful South Africa will be a safe place for women and children that furthermore encourages and empowers them to live in the fulness of their potential!


No comments:

Post a Comment